Sunday, November 24, 2013

Poor Man's Puppy Chow

I LOVE puppy chow. Or "muddy buddies" as some may call it. But I rarely make it mostly because we never buy cereal - mostly because cereal is expensive. And a good batch of puppy chow takes an entire box of cereal - therefore we rarely make it. 

But I did make it a few weeks ago, and had tons of left over chocolate bark, peanut butter and powdered sugar. What to do with all these ingredient and no corn checks? Why not use pop corn? It worked beautifully!


After feeling so awesome for making up this recipe, I found out it is actually very popular and known as "poppy chow." So while I can't take credit for inventing it, I can still say I saved money in the long run. 

Say you made puppy chow 4 times during the Christmas season. Thats 4 boxes of corn checks. Corn checks are at least $2.50 per box, which comes to $10 dollars on cereal alone during the holidays. That $10 could be spent on a few new clothing items at the thrift store or a nice big, juicy burito at Chipotle and you would still have plenty left over! 

Making it with popcorn, you get a bag of kernels at Aldi for less than $2 dollars, and a whole batch is made with only a 1/2 cup! This comes to infinitely more batches of delicious puppy chow to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment