Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cheapskate cold remedy?



About a week ago I was starting to feel that ominous sore throat, out of breath, achy body feeling that always seems to come right before a major cold. One of the guys who lives in our house had had a horrible cold the week before and he was still recovering. I was worried I was next - last time I got sick it lasted over a week and I was totally out for two whole days!



I did not want this to happen again, especially since I had lots of new students that week. So I did what any grown woman of 26 would do, called my mom and told her all about how sick I was feeling. Here was her list of advice 

1. Take vitimin D

2. Eat garlic

3. Buy some zinc lozenges

4. Rest

I did all three of these things with a vengeance. Took D and garlic in the morning and at night, sauteed TONS of fresh garlic and ate it on everything, and bought 2 boxes of off-brand zinc lozenges from CVS (buy one get one half off!). 

The results - I felt about the same the next day, and then completely better by the second day. I developed a teency bit of what might have become a cough, but it never got bad enough to interfere with teaching. Such a miracle! Thank you Mom for the smart tips!

I think the key is vigilance and taking action right away. When I am sick I tend to lay around in self pity. But these are some really easy and inexpensive ways to help your body fight off sickness.

I also found this interesting article about garlic and other herbs that help stop colds etc. Very interesting!


http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/23/garlic-health-benefits.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Good for you and for your Mom! I recently had a cold and did similarly. I hit it hard also with lots of Ester Vitamin C, and echinacea, and astralagas herbs plus some elder berry pills I had on hand. Felt better in a few short days.

    ReplyDelete