Friday, August 16, 2013

No Rule Sewing - good enough 99% of the time



One of my favorite games to play when I was younger was "no rule football." I played with my older brother and it was probably just an excuse to attack him and go crazy. I also loved no rule basketball and no rule soccer - all great opportunities to do what I wanted and not have to think about rules or what anyone said. I am still a little rebellious against rules in games because playing a game is supposed to be fun, and what is the fun in slowing down and thinking things out before doing them?


This rebellion still lurks in me especially when I start doing crafts or any kind of project. I have some inner drive that says "Don't think about it, just do it and go from there." I have figured out a great many things following this principal in crafting, though I would not advise applying it to daily life. 

Most recently I've been plagued by all these long summer dresses I bought at the thrift store last year and haven't warn this summer at all. I don't know anything about making a good hem or sewing machines or changing the color of the thread or anything. But the little voice inside me said "If you just cut the dress off, then you won't be able to go back and you'll have to figure out how to hem it up." Before thinking too much, all the dresses were cut. I wish now that I had at least taken some before pictures. Oh well - thats recklessness for you. 

Here are some of the finished products - proving that ANYONE can sew if push comes to shove. And even an extremely crude job is good enough 99% of the time




My only "technique" was cutting the dresses as straight as I could, ironing the hem in as straight as I could - then adding the pins and sewing it up. Once I did this with one or two dresses, it was much faster and easier. I would never want to do it without ironing the hem first though. It's hard enough to sew straight as it is.

This last one was more complicated because I also cut the neck out. I can't remember why I did that, but It worked out ok. Its not completely straight. Still - close enough for me!




Now isn't that more fun than following instructions or wasting all that time changing out the thread to the right color?

No comments:

Post a Comment